Quick and Accurate Quality Assurance of Airborne LiDAR
QA4LiDAR simplifies, standardises and automates the quality assurance process for airborne topographic and bathymetric LiDAR data. The tool saves users time with robust data quality that is fit-for-use. As a tool that replaces time intensive manual tasks QA4LiDAR increases the rigor and completeness of quality assurance checks.
Developed through collaborative CRCSI research, QA4LiDAR has been designed to ICSM standards and can be deployed for any aerial LiDAR data capture across Australia and the Pacific.
The independent checking mechanism can be performed on the supplied topographic or bathymetric LiDAR data by the LiDAR provider after acquisition and/or upon delivery to the contracting agency, in an effective and efficient manner.
Designed for use by data suppliers and local, state and federal government data custodians QA4LiDAR allows transparency between government and private industry processes and expectations.
Qa4LiDAR is currently under Beta testing and a release is planned soon. The major benefits of QA4LiDAR v2.0 over v1.0 include:
- The new quality assurance software will be independent of ESRI and no longer require an ArcGIS license
- The new Form Editor will be an online tool replacing the current desktop application, and the QA Results will also be online, requiring users to have an account and login
- Some methods and algorithms are being improved including allowing user defined naming conventions
The tool provides a comprehensive list of checks (nearly 60 checks), requiring minimal manual work, including:
- File corruption, naming and delivery completeness checks
- Coordinate system check
- Attribution checks for point clouds and vector datasets
- Tile-based point cloud classification statistics
- Survey control checks
- Point density checks
- DEM/DSM resolution checks
- Absolute and Relative vertical accuracy checks
- Data extent and voids checks
- Flight line coverage checks
- Other visual checks
For a comprehensive list of checks and their details please contact us.
QA4LiDAR Project Partner(s)